Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Stockpiling ~ Take Advantage Of This Low Cost Investment

Stockpiling is something I have been practicing for nearly a year now, so this is not new to me. However, I have been hearing recent buzz about news reports on why people should start stockpiling food. I decided to use my good ole friend google to find out what the AP has been saying. I was quite shocked to see how many articles have come out in the recent weeks regarding this topic, including one from Wall Street : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120881517227532621.html

With the way the economy is going, it's probably a wise choice to stockpile because you know everything is going up in price. Think about the truckers that take the food to the stores, thier gas prices have gone up significantly, so in turn, their prices go up, then in that turn, the sellers raise their prices. It's the domino effect, once one price goes up, everything goes up. Not only are prices rising, people are being laid off. Stockpiling is a wise investment just incase something happens that you are not counting on in the future.

Now, I am not one for believing that Armageddon is knocking on the door and we need to go out and buy canned foods and run to a bomb shelter. However, I am a firm believer in saving my pennies so when I find something that is a great deal, I stock pile it. Coupons are a great resource in helping with this. For example, if Aquafresh is on sale for 1.00, and we have coupons for 1.00 off, that makes them of course, FREE! So when I know that something will be on sale like that, I will scope out my coupons and check ebay for a lot of those coupons. The main benefit to stockpiling is you never know when that item will be on sale again, especially when you need it. Now say you have 5 toothpastes that you got for free or for under a buk, isn't that better than going out and buying it whenever you need it, and maybe its not on sale or there isn't a coupon? Toothpaste is more than three bucks, free sounds a lot better to me!!

Here are a few things I stockpile:

NONFOOD:

  • Razors
  • Toothpaste
  • Deodorant
  • Shampoo/conditioner
  • Soap
  • Laundry detergent
  • Paper towels
  • Toilet paper

FOOD:

  • Pasta
  • Rice
  • Canned Food
  • Cereal
  • Snacks

Basically, if its nearly free and non perishable, I stockpile it. Now some people freeze milk, but I have never done this but I have heard it can be done. Especially with the rise of milk prices, it may be worth a shot.

The main inconveinence of stockpiling is space. If you live in a small living space, its harder to stockpile. So if you decide to, you will need to organize it. If your stockpile is just getting overwhelming, there are many shelters and food banks that would be happy to take your overflow off your hands.


No comments: